I came across a blog post on ParentingInMotion.com about 5 Lies told to new moms:
Lies Told to New Moms!
- “You won’t have time to shower for days.”
- “Sleep when the baby sleeps.”
- “Just let the laundry and dishes pile up, they can wait”
- “You will never eat a warm meal again.”
- “If you learn to do it right, breastfeeding won’t hurt.”
While there are many crappy lies we tell new moms, 3 important ones that were missed in that list were:
- Always follow instincts. A new mom will have a lot on her mind as she attends to the day to day care of her new baby. She will also be tired and sometimes aggravated. Not every idea that pops into her head will be right or make sense.
- Friends and family will be a lot of help. While they mean well, most offers of assistance are hollow gestures. They sound great and polite but most parents are on their own.
- All these products are needed. Everyone will recommend all the stuff the baby will NEED. Many of the items will offer convenience and help make things easier but rarely are they necessary.
What other lies are needlessly told to new moms?
What help would you have rather received instead of crappy advice you were given?
Please let me know in the comments.
P.S. If this topic interests you, please check out the very popular and helpful book by Claudine Wolk called It Gets Easier!…And Other Lies We Tell New Mothers: A Fun, Practical Guide to Becoming a Mom.
If you liked this post, please share so others may as well. If you got any value from this post, share it twice
Follow me on: